Homemade Cheesy Crackers



I have been wanting to try making homemade crackers for awhile now.  These turned out really well!  Bebe B wanted some of them to be fish shaped like her friends have at preschool.  I remembered seeing somewhere that you could use a soda can to make homemade mini cookie cutter so I cracked open a Zevia for myself!  I cut a thin strip of the can then shaped it as a fish and taped the ends together.  Make sure an adult does this part as cut cans are a bit sharp.


Homemade Cheesy Crackers - 10 Months+
Sharp Cheddar Cheese (8 oz block)
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
4 Tbsp cold Butter, cubed
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Turmeric
1/2 tsp Paprika
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
2 Tbsp Ice Water


Grate block of cheese until completely shredded.  Using a food processor pulse together the flour, salt and spices.  Add the cheese and butter and pulse till well combined.  The dough should be the texture of chunky sand.  Pulse in the water one tablespoon at a time and pulse until a dough forms.  Form the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 25 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (f).  Roll out the dough to about 1/8 inch thickness (the crackers puff up quite a bit).  Cut out little shapes with mini cutters or cut into squares with a pizza wheel.  Place them on parchment lined baking sheets.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, until crispy and golden.  Makes about 5-6 dozen crackers, depending on size.  Store in an airtight container for up to a week.

This recipe is Vegetarian.











Comments

  1. Where did you find the little fish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin,
      I made it from an aluminum can. I cut out a strip, shaped it and taped it. It's kind of sharp so I'm pretty careful when I let my girls use it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Subscribe to our monthly newsletter

* indicates required

Popular Posts

Follow Us on Instagram

Connect with Us