Sweet Potato Extravaganza



I found (probably) the most perfect organic sweet potatoes not long ago.  They were plump and the skin was a warm brown and the insides were a bright and creamy orange.  I had 3 HUGE ones which led to a our Friday being all about sweet potatoes.

For breakfast I made sweet potato buckwheat pancakes, these were awesome (if I do say so myself)!  Bebe B loved them too, you can tell this by the number of bites that she puts in her mouth versus on the floor!

For Lunch it was baked sweet potatoes with some Earth Balance, Organic Greek plain yogurt and nutmeg. 

For Dinner that night I made home made chicken nuggets (yes they use sweet potato) from one of my favorite cookbooks, Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld.  Let me just say they rocked- we all loved them and they went perfect with the sweet potato fries I made.

And if that were not enough I froze about 2 cups of sweet potato puree I had leftover.  I sure stretched the life out of those 3.  it is going to be tough for my future sweet potatoes to live up to!  My Recipes below:

Sweet potato Buckwheat pancakes:
1 cup organic buckwheat pancake mix
1 egg (organic free range veg feed)
1 cup organic sweet potato puree  
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp organic olive oil
2/3 cup organic milk or soymilk
1/4 cup organic flax seed meal
Mix all together and cook on a griddle or griddle pan on Med heat! 

Sweet potato fries:
Peel and slice (julienne cut) 1/2 - 1 large organic sweet potato, mix the "fries" in a bowl with a tbsp org olive oil and salt, pepper, paprika, fresh ground nutmeg to taste, optional pinch or garlic powder.  I use my fingers to get them all mixed up- then spread on a lightly oiled baking sheet in a thin layer.  Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes flipping them every once in a while during cooking.  A fun way to serve them for adults or children who are old enough to eat whole fries, is to use some fun patterned food safe paper (paper grocery bags work too) to make a little cone for the fries and serve them the European "frites" way!




Comments

Subscribe to our monthly newsletter

* indicates required

Popular Posts

Follow Us on Instagram

Connect with Us